The SDAA Banquet will be from 6-9 PM and will be held via Zoom. All SDAA members will receive an invitation by email
Banquet speaker: Scott Kardel
Banquet speaker topic: Revolution in Amateur Astronomy: Electronically Assisted Astronomy
A new wave of consumer telescopes with integrated imaging systems are poised to revolutionize A new wave of consumer telescopes with integrated imaging systems are poised to revolutionize the hobby of astronomy. Astronomer Scott Kardel from Palomar College discusses his experience using one of these new telescopes and explains how they are changing public outreach, creating an easy entry into astrophotography to more people than ever before and are being used as powerful tools for citizen science.
Professor Kardel is an associate professor of astronomy in the Earth, Space & Environmental Sciences department at Palomar College and is assistant director of the Palomar College Planetarium. He has a B.S. in physical science / secondary education from Northern Arizona University and an M.S. in astronomy from the University of Arizona. SDAA members know him as former outreach coordinator at Paloar Observatory and as an executive with the International Dark Sky Association. He has also worked at Lake Afton Public Observatory and as a high school science teacher.
Check out our Auction and Sweepstakes items:
This year we have added a new feature which allows you to buy sweepstakes tickets for a specific item or items. That way you can increase your odds of winning something you really want or need.
- 2 $500 Gift certificates from OPT
- 1 $500 Gift certificate from Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope
- 1 $300 Gift certificate from Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope
- 2 $50 Gravity Heights Restaurant and Brewery Gift certificates
- Celestron CGX Go-To Mount (used but nearly new)
- William Optics OTA 5 element 81mm refractor (GTF 81A) (used)
- Orion 6″ R/C OTA (used)
- SGIB 8300 CCD camera with filter wheel and 7 filters
- 6 mm Televue Delos eyepiece (used)
- 23mm Celestron 2″ eyepiece (used)
- Vintage Celestron C-8 on equatorial mount and wood tripod (used)
- 6 – Guest passes to the Masters of Pixinsight online training sessions – value is $35.00 each
- 3 – 120-day admission to the Master of Pixinsight online training tutorial archives -value is $50.00 each
- 2 full admission passes to AIC Astro Imaging Conference in 2022. Value of $375 each – Link for further details
- If you’d like to make a cash donation click here: Donate Now
The banquet is our main fundraiser of the year, so please help us make it a success, and remember that all donations are tax deductible!
Wishing you clear skies,